Albert and Gertrude Sharrock moved from New Bedford to East Freetown in 1919. That same year Nathan Rounseville built the general store for the Sharrock’s on County Road. The store sold fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs along with many other dried goods. When the store added electric refrigeration, ice cream and a meat case were also added.
Walking into the store, one would see wooden shelves lining the upper walls. Behind a large counter was a large gold colored cash register and wooden bins where various dried beans and rice were kept. On the opposite wall one would observe glass covered containers housing cookies and crackers. The back shop stored boxes of inventory as well as bottled soda, paper goods, and tanks of kerosene.
The store served as a school bus stop and in 1954 the East Freetown Post Office was moved there, making the store a perfect spot to socialize.
In 1955, Albert Sharrock retired and Albert Foster Sr. took over the store and also became Postmaster.
*Our thanks to Pricilla Foster
Albert Foster & Albert Sharrock